Thursday, September 4, 2014

Painting a Brass Chandelier



Although I live a minimalist life-style, when I saw a chandelier on sale for only $12.99, I thought that painting it would be a fun experiment.  There is always a risk of thrift electronics not working, but the price and shape still caught my interest and I went ahead with the project anyway.

I brought it home, washed it, taped off the exposed light sockets, and sprayed it with white primer.  I’m new to spray paint and am not sure how to control it into an even stream.  This paint dried to a texture that looks like felt.  Not what I was expecting, but I also don’t mind it.

When that was fully dry, I used the amount of 1 ½ cans of light blue spray paint on the body of the chandelier, and just a few squirts of white on the candle-like plastic sheaths.  I had no idea that this project would require so much paint!

When it was fully dry, I tried to hang the chandelier and noticed that there was a part missing. The crossbar.   I actually had no idea what this was called, and spend half an hour looking up installation guides online. 

I found the crossbar for $2.30 at Home Depot, brought it home and installed it as soon as I could. 
I’m so happy with my final result!  It is a lot brighter than I would have thought, and I love the globe style light bulbs.   If anything, this chandelier makes the room much more interesting and proved to be an inexpensive way to transform a space! 


This is how the chandelier looked when I purchased it.  Beautiful curves. Not so beautiful brass. 

Taped off electrical bits 

Spray primer.  I painted the chandelier on an old coat rack in my parents' backyard. 

First coat of blue paint 

White spray painted fake "candles" 

Second coat of spray paint 

This is the cross bar that cost $2.30.  Without it, the chandelier can't be suspended. 

And it's hung! I chose globe lights because their shape is much more interesting than the standard fake flame shape. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *